Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Another reason why I hate Republicans

My father-in-law just expressed his concerns about the health care reform bill encouraging euthanasia. Ever the skeptic, I looked into it and wonder... When will the Republicans learn to GTF over it?! And in particular, Sarah Palin. It will be interesting to see if she can keep her idiotic conspiracy theories to herself long enough to be seriously considered for the Republican nomination in 2012. As much as I would LOVE a woman in the White House, I don't want it to be her.

I read the section in question in which euthanasia is "proposed." The claims made by Palin and her fellow conservatives are really a stretch. So now, Advance Directives and Living Wills are part of the euthanasia movement? Gimme a break! Every time I go to the ER, or go to the hospital for testing, I am given information on Advance Directives. Does that mean the hospital advocates euthanasia? Of course not!

Living Wills and Advance Directives make it very clear to a person's family and caregivers what they wish to happen in the event he/she is incapacitated by illness or injury. This is something EVERYONE should do.

I guess the GOP forgot about the 2003 report by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, which had recommended and gave detailed guidelines for practitioners for Advance Care Planning. The agency is a FEDERAL agency. This was back in 2003. You know, when W. was in office. Now that Obama is in office, it's called euthanasia?

I could go on forever about this issue, but someone has done a better job of picking apart the lies that the GOP are spreading to create fear in the minds of the sick and elderly. Great post here: Obama wants to kill your grandma







No comments:

Post a Comment