Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Primer on Soy Isoflavones

I've recently stumbled across soy isoflavones while browsing through infertility websites and forums. I did a little research and here is what I've come up with.

Soy isoflavones are being touted as the natural Clomid. For anyone who is unfamiliar with Clomid, it is usually a first line drug used in the treatment of infertility, specifically ovulatory disorders. The way it works is by tricking your body into thinking your estrogen levels are low. In response, the pituitary gland secretes FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) which in turn stimulates the ovaries to produce follicles which (hopefully) will result in mature, healthy eggs.

Soy isoflavones contain phytoestrogens, which act in the same way as Clomid. You take it in the same manner as Clomid, for 5 days at the beginning of your cycle. The starting dose varies, I've seen 80 mg as a common dose. The most common side effect mentioned is headache.

I bought a bottle at Walmart, the Spring Valley brand which is 40 mg/tablet for $5.83. I will be taking 80 mg on CD 3-7. I figure there is no harm in trying and I've read so many success stories, so it's worth a shot.

Here are some links I found to be useful:




Please note: Do not take soy isoflavones without first consulting your physician.

No comments:

Post a Comment